Exclude, if the person’s actions or behavior is the result of an accident
- accidental overdose (i.e. heavy episodic drinking or intake of illicit drugs, or as an unintended consequence of dependence on alcohol or illicit drugs)
- accidentally taking an incorrect dose of prescription medication
- accidentally ingesting a poisonous substance
- accidental injury related to sports or work
- accidental injury as a result of an argumentative confrontation.
If it is clearly the result of an accident, then the case is not intentional self-harm or suicide attempt
Action = Exclude
|Vignette Example – Accidental Injury
Admission Notes: 11-year-old boy BIBA. Injuries to head, face and chest. Mother accompanying. Says she found son at the bottom of the stairs. Explains she had asked him to sweep the house, including the stairs. Heard a noise and shouts of pain.
Behaviour: In shock. Says he slipped. Shivering and upset.